Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Day for democracy

So today, in respect for the occasion, I am taking the time to congratulate Americans for allowing democracy to reign supreme. I am also thankful that, in keeping with American tradition, we broke a long history of white leaders and allowed a black man to be in charge of our country. This is a very historic day. It sounds so redundant but it is indeed a day that will mark the present, not changing the past, but allowing another opportunity for America to embrace change as we so often do.  Congratulations to our 44th President Barack Obama, congratulations to Americans who made their voices heard through the debates, commentaries, jokes, side notes, etc., congratulations to America for following in the path that our Founding Fathers set out for us in writing the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. Indeed, this day we have set forth a new declaration; we are Americans, proud and strong, boisterous yet civil. This is not a day for African Americans (politically correct) or black people (the term I like to use). This is a day to celebrate democracy, civil rights, human rights, and the freedoms that we as Americans hold so dear to our hearts.  I am black and I am proud of my heritage, but I will not celebrate this as another "freedom day", because I am an American; I have been free to think, live and be since the day I was born.  No one, no matter what anyone says, has held me down or enslaved me. I am proud of my heritage and I recognize the battles that were fought before me to ensure that I was born free, but that is in the past. I recognize and embrace it for what it was. Don't look down on me because I made a political decision different from yours; you should cheer me for being able to think on my own and use the right that was given to me. That's why my ancestors and forefathers fought, bled, and died.  They didn't want to just see the enhancement of black people, but they wanted to enhance a human race. They wanted to see me use the rights that were deprived of them. I thank my ancestors for that gift because that gift produced an even bigger one. So once again, congratulations Mr. President, congratulations America. 

Peace and Blessing, 
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment